HW: www.hawkwind.org.uk

Kevin Sommers novadrive at HOME.COM
Sat Nov 18 15:16:23 EST 2000

Hey, I thought the spirit of Hawkwind was barbarians not KNOWING how to use
their technology properly!

KevinSommers

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU]On
Behalf Of Rik Rx
Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2000 6:51 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
Subject: Re: HW: www.hawkwind.org.uk

Just to update on all the MC site stuff on the thread.....

The site attempts to be as cutting edge as possibe without excluding those
who still connect using old tin cans with valves in for computers. As such
there will always be certain compromises, but there are grillions of
parseing and filtering routines that sort out the wheat from the chaff.
(Which is why the site has different features for Netscrape and IE users -
there are pages that are coded to maximise each browser's unique features)

And yes... the latest browsers are free, and available on cd's nailed to the
front most computer/net mags. Why not try both of the main two? Once
they are both installed and you can even open both together and switch
between them.... (sorry to state the obvious, but most folks don't realise
that you *don't* have to stick with the browser bundled with their ISP's
software)

But, the net being the net, there are hundreds of combinations of platform,
op system and browser.. so while not everyone (about 2%) will get the full
picture, they'll at least get something, even if it's only the vital
info..... Currently the site is tested on PC and Mac, using versions 3.0+ of
Netscrape, Internet Excuse, Opera, NeoPlanet and a few others. We even test
the stuff above on W95,W98,Linux and Mac system 7+ where available, and have
routines that baypass pages that may crash your browser if you have an
unusual or 'unknown' combination.

Yeah... certainly a fast machine with the latest browsers will get you all
the whizbangs, but like I said, it should be reverse engineered enough for
anyone with even the most basic setup to access most stuff...

In a perfect world, you will need at least a 28k modem, a decent graphics
card and monitor and have CSS, Java and JavaScript enabled. For some stuff,
RealAudio is necessary, but this is built in to later browsers as is the
flash player. The Quicktime plugin would also be a bonus.

The server ping times for www.hawkwind.org.uk should be way quick as it is
hosted close to the national backbone - if you have probs, do a traceroute
to show server hops from your location to see where the problem really lies.
(if you need a small traceroute prog mail me direct at hw at cy-b.org)
otherwise use the full hw hosted URL to access the site:
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hwind/

As for the console, why not just maximise it to full screen size like
intended? (Netcape does this automatically) AOL users may find peculiar
results here as their browser acts more like a virus than a page viewer.

BTW the console is not java, it's just an HTML page with the controls turned
off so we can use our own... The console is also about going on a
journey....  entering and leaving Hawkwind timespace rather than hopping
onto a regular page like anywhere else on the net.....

BUT please mail any comments, suggestions problems and thoughts to
hw at cy-b.org direct, rather than use the BOC list and we can deal with each
one individually. Plese include Platform (PC/MAC) Op System (W95/98/NT Linux
 etc.) Processor speed and RAM would be nice too...

A feedback and diagnostic page will be up on the site soon too.

Out of interest, we had the site up on an aincent Amiga last week, although
the Sinclair ZX81 struggled a bit....

Apologies to the list for the length of this mail, but it was the best way
of getting this stuff said :}

Rx