HW: More on Weird 101-105

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Nov 22 03:09:45 EST 2000

Here's more analysis of the material on the Weird Tape CD's that I put
together to help with the update to the Codex.  I found a few things that
probably need to be changed, so I'll post new entries in a separate
message.  The Codex entries refer to the 3/3/98 version, and most of the
renumbering acounts for the 'Atomhenge 76'/'Thrilling Adventures' tracks
being sequenced in chronological order.  There are a few places where I
changed the previous numbering for various reasons.  Let me know what sort
of errors you find ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com

WEIRD 101
=========
Over the Top (7.49) [7.53]
        same as version 1 in the Codex

Magnu (3.19) [3.12]
        same as version 2 in the Codex

Angels of Death (5.16) [1.11]
        version 1 in the Codex should become version 1a (fades out)
        This becomes version 1 in the Codex

Free Fall (8.00) [7.54]
        version 1 in the Codex could become version 1a (fades in)
        This could become version 1 in the Codex (starts cold)

Death Trap (5.03) [4.30]
        version 1 in the Codex should become version 1a (fades out)
        This becomes version 1 in the Codex

Who's Gonna Win the War (4.54) [5.55]
        This is close to the 1c version in the Codex
        Version 1a should probably become version 1
        It's the shorter "single" version
        Does the original Weird Tape have the full-length version?

WEIRD 102
=========
Quark, Strangeness & Charm (2.38) [2.38]
        version 2 in the Codex

Master of the Universe (4.44)
        version 11 in the Codex

Welcome to the Future (2.10)
        version 6 in the Codex

Spirit of the Age (5.50) [5.57]
        version 3a in the Codex should become version 4 (different recording, same
era)
        version 3 in the Codex should become version 3a (fades out at end)
        This becomes version 3 in the Codex (flows into "Sonic Attack" version 4
in the Codex)

Sonic Attack (5.27)
        is now version 5 (old version 4) in the Codex

Valium 10 (7.57) [7.51]
        version 1 in the Codex (this version seems to be identical despite the
slight time discrepency)

Douglas in the Jungle (6.55) [6.53]
        version 1 in the Codex

Time Of ... (5.33) [4.07]
        version 1 in the Codex

WEIRD 103
=========
High Rise (5.37) [5.41]
        version 1 in the Codex

Damnation Alley (parts 1&2) (8.00)
        version 2 in the Codex
        this is only part 1 - it cuts off and there is no part 2

Uncle Sam's On Mars (6.33)
        is now version 2 (old version 1) in the Codex
        includes "The Iron Dream" (should be new version 2 in the Codex)

Robot (7.21)
        This is different from version 1 in the Codex
        It should become version 1 in the Codex
        I believe the original version 1 (Friends & Relations vol.1) is actually
version 2 (PXR5)

Circles (4.44) aka Hash Cake 77 [4.50]
        This sounds like 1977, not Watchfield 75
        Hash Cake 77 has a spoken intro (0.25) and fades out sooner than Circles

I Am the Eye (4.29)
        This actually sounds like a Watchfield 75 recording
        It becomes version 1

Slap it on the Table (4.26) [11.48 - "Watchfield Festival" track]
        This becomes Watchfield Festival version 1a
        It's an edit of version 1 with at least one splice

... there's also a 50-second rant at the end of the CD

WEIRD 104
=========
Death Trap (6.21)
        version 3 in the Codex
Micro Man (3.40)
        version 2 in the Codex
Spirit of the Age (9.25)
        is now version 5 (old version 4) in the Codex
Urban Guerilla (5.18)
        version 3 in the Codex
Steppenwolf (9.07)
        is now version 5 (old version 4) in the Codex
Free Fall (5.28)
        version 2 in the Codex
Uncle Sam's on Mars (8.33)
        is now version 4 (old version 2) in the Codex
        includes "The Iron Dream" (now version 3 - old version 2 - in the Codex)

WEIRD 105
=========
Back on the Streets (Calvert/Rudolph) (3.50)
        is now version 3 (old version 2) in the Codex
Chronoglide Skyway (Powell) (5.09)
        mislabeled as City of Lagoons
        is now version 3 (old version 2) in the Codex
Brainstorm (Turner) (7.25)
        is now version 9 (old version 8) in the Codex
Wind of Change (Brock) (4.07)
        is now version 4 (old version 3) in the Codex
Assassins of Allah (Calvert/Rudolph) (7.17)
        is now version 3 (old version 2) in the Codex
Forge of Vulcan (House) (2.33)
        version 1 in the Codex
Steppenwolf (Calvert/Brock) (10.29)
        is now version 3 (old version 2) in the Codex
Where Are They Now? (Brock) (2.19)
        version 1 in the Codex