HW: Warrior reissue (was Re: OFF: Cranium rocks)

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Nov 27 14:22:20 EST 2000

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:22:15 -0000, ANDREW GARIBALDI
<andygee at DIAL.PIPEX.COM> wrote:
>ah yes - Warrior....
>What I would love to know, and for once I don't have the answer, is why
>'warrior' wasn't part of the EMI remaster series since it was on UA like the
>rest, so where's the problem?

Except that it wasn't *exactly* on UA.  I don't know what the precise
details were, but for some reason, the album seems to exist "outside" of
the five standard UA releases.  In the United States, it was released on
Atco, and I believe it came out on other labels elsewhere in the world
(it's UA in Europe, I know) - Mike C?

Also, when the reissue on Griffin came out, I remember it had been noted
that EMI UK had lost the original UA master tape, and the reissue was
mastered from a safety master copy found in Atco's vaults in New York City.

Neither of those explain why it's out of print (nor why core albums like
'Astounding Sounds', 'Quark', 'PXR5' and '25 Years On' are also unavailable
... while Castle runs of more remasters of also-rans like 'Palace Springs'
and 'IitFtbD'), but it shows that WHATEVER the story is, it's something
complicated.

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com