HW: Warrior reissue (was Re: OFF: Cranium rocks)

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Nov 28 20:11:40 EST 2000

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:27:17 +0000, Carl Edlund Anderson
<carlaz at NTLWORLD.COM> wrote:
> Hey, _PS_ is one of my favorite albums (OK, barring the fairly lame
> "Acid Test"). Otherwise, it's early-90s-style HW in full flight, and
> I'll match 'em against just about any other version :)
>
> There is, admittedly, little call for versions of IITBOTFTBD ... ;)

... actually, I wasn't intending to totally slag off those albums.  I like
'Palace Springs' quite a bit (even "Acid Test", 'cause I really like it
when Harvey gets a bit nutty - which is why I prefer him as a solo artist
to Simon House, even though Simon is the [far far far] superior musician -
he was vastly entertaining at Stange Daze this summer), and (not sure if
you were on the list when I came up with this theory, Carl) IitBotFtbD
works extremely well for me when I think of it as a Richard Chadwick solo
album (in the same way 'Church of Hawkwind' works best for me as a Brock
solo album).  (Main points to that theory being: A) the strongest "real
instrument" playing on the album is Richard's drums, since Dave & Alan are
mostly playing synths,  B) almost every song is co-written by him, C) it's
the only Hawkwind album that he has a lead vocal on!)

All I meant was that (IMO, of course) anyone getting into Hawkwind beyond a
"greatest hits" compilation NEEDS to hear 'Quark' and 'PXR5' (just as they
NEED to hear 'Space Ritual', 'Warrior', etc.), while PS and IitBotFtbD
should be albums purchased much farther down the line (unless the person in
question is a techno/trance fan who hates Rock&Roll, in which case he or
she should probably START with IitBotFtbD [sorry I mangled that
abbreviation so badly in my original message]).

Oh yeah, I consider 'Palace Springs' to be a 90's Hawkwind album, just like
I consider 'Live 79' to be an 80's Hawkwind album [the same way that, at
least in the USA, the 50's ended with Kennedy's assassination & the arrival
of the Beatles, and the 60's ended with Nixon's resignation & the end of
the Vietnam war] ... Huw's arrival AND departure changed the sound and
focus of the band considerably, and his presence definitely contributed to
a very "80's" sound.

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com