HW:Excess Studio recordings

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Nov 29 19:11:35 EST 2000

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:04:23 +1100, "Lawrence, Martyn [IBM GSA]"
<Martyn.Lawrence at TEAM.TELSTRA.COM> wrote:
>just been rereading the Born to Go book, and when the band were recording
>tracks for was eventually to become
>ASAM, Simon King was quoted as saying there are more tracks down than we
>actually need.  My question is : what if any were the unused tracks ?

I wonder if he's counting stuff like "Honky Dorky" that's not really a
different track (in this case, a studio jam on the mid-section of "Reefer
Madness").  Or possibly songs that started as Brock compositions, but
turned into the familiar Brock/Calvert tracks after Bob rejoined.

>From
>the set lists the March dates only have "Making of Midgard"
>as the only non album track - but this was on lucky leif.

The post-'Warrior' / pre-ASAM era now seems to be about the only era of
Hawkwind completely un-documented in existing live releases (except the
Watchfield Festival).  I would be really curious to hear some of that
stuff, especially if there's anything with Paul Rudolph playing guitar (his
guitar playing with the Deviants, 'Capt. Lockheed', Pink Fairies & Eno does
A LOT more for me than his bass playing with Hawkwind & Eno) ...

>I remember in a Hawkfan that Brian Tawn was on the phone to Dave and he was
>playing him lots of Stuff never heard before.

Could they have been near-demos like "Infinity" & "Life Form" from 'PXR5'?
Are there other demo tracks from that era that didn't make it onto 'PXR5'
but pre-dated the demos on the Weird Tapes?

>So Dave do you remember what the unused songs were ,

Paul Rudolph would probably also be a good person to ask about this, too,
since they were using a lot of his compositions ("Back on the Streets",
"Time For Sale", "Hassan i Sahba") at the time.  Although those would seem
to date from *after* ASAM ... I expect that all 3 of those songs (and
"Uncle Sam's On Mars") would have been included on the follow-up to ASAM,
had the lineup remained the same.

Does "Where are they Now?" date from this era ... it sounds to me like it
could ...

>and are there any Studio Recordings of Uncle Sam/Robot ?

Or "Time For Sale"?  I would think that if there were, they would have been
used instead of the live versions of 'PXR5', unless they were
instrumental-only tracks that never had vocals recorded since Calvert left
the band.

Probably likely to be more questions than answers about this one ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com