HW:Excess Studio recordings

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Nov 29 20:23:01 EST 2000

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:49:48 +0000, Nick Medford <nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK>
wrote:
>In message <3.0.6.32.20001129161135.009e5160 at pop.sirius.com>, Doug
>Pearson <ceres at SIRIUS.COM> writes
>
>>I would be really curious to hear some of that stuff, especially if
>>there's anything with Paul Rudolph playing guitar ...
>
>There's a pic of him playing guitar in the CD booklet of Thrilling
>Adventures, and it's hard to believe they wouldn't have made ANY use of
>his huge talents. Anyone who doubts that he was once a barnstorming
>psychedelic electric guitar demigod- check out his playing on early Fairies
>tracks like 'Do It', 'Walk Don't Run', 'Portobello Shuffle' to name but a
few.

Yes!  Or the 'Deviants (#3)' (aka "Nun and popsicle") album.  Or,
especially, the loooong version of "Uncle Harry's Last Freakout" that
originally appeared on the 'Glastonbury Fayre' set and is now on numerous
Pink Fairies archival collections (if you search the archives, you'll run
across a lengthy discussion on those from feb. 99 ... the boc-l archives
can be searched at: http://listserv.spc.edu/archives/boc-l.html).

I've seen review(s?) of Hawkwind shows that mention Rudolph playing guitar
(and, I think, Simon House playing bass?  I should've asked him about that
in the recent Cyberspace Interview, if I hadn't already asked about 18
different questions...), but have never seen/heard any "hard" evidence
(photos, tapes).

>I've not heard any of his more recent output with Twink, but everyone who
>has says it's shite. Does anyone anywhere have a good word to say about the
>'Pleasure Island' album?!

check the archives at:

http://listserv.spc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9902a&L=boc-l&F=&S=&P=5725

for Jill Strobridge's comments on 'Pleasure Island' (which she typos as,
'Paradise island').  I think the gist is that, it sucks except for the last
track which is pretty cool blanga ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com