HW: Silver Machine #88 riff

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue Oct 3 11:59:05 EDT 2000

Hi Folks...

Was flipping through a recent issue of Kerrapp! and saw they had a list of
the Top 100 guitar riffs of all time.  As the heading suggests, Silver
Machine was there as #88.  Nice that Hawkwind got a mention (albeit with a
sarcastic note about it selling Mazda's these days), but I would have liked
to see a few more there obviously.  (I think Motorhead had four or five in
there, and I think that Ace of Spades was Top 10.)  And something that I
really liked - I never really caught on to the big appeal of Silver
Machine...seems rather ordinary compared to all the great contemporary
stuff.  MotU is a better riff IMHO, and nearly as well known.  Also Hassan I
Sahba certainly.

I didn't look at the list too closely.  It seemed as though there was a lot
of punkish stuff that I hardly knew, as well as the typical old classic rock
and metal.  I think Black Sabbath (the tune) was No. 2 or 3 behind Whole
Lotta Love by somebody named Willie Dixon or something.

I don't remember seeing Diamond Head or Roger Taylor in there, two of my
favorite riff merchants (and the former being well thought of by the Malcolm
Dome's of the world, I woulda thought).  Or any recent 'stoner' groups.  But
then I only gave it a quick peek.

Grakkl (FAA)