OFF: Radiohead

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue Oct 3 14:24:38 EDT 2000

Doug P. queries...

>Big question from me here ...
>
>SHOULD I BELIEVE THE HYPE?
>
>The latest issue of 'Spin' describes one of the songs on their new album as
>a cross between "Silver Machine" and "Mother Sky".  Can I say anything but
>"IF ONLY?"  I'm ignorant, I've never heard Radiohead, but I've heard tons
>(and tons and tons) of hype.  And descriptions like the one I just
>mentioned make me believe that, yeah, it's JUST hype.  Anyone wanna point
>out the error of my ways?

Dunno about the new one.  I will refuse to purchase it.  And either Silver
Machine or Mother Sky alone have more kinetic energy in them than all of OK
Computer (the last one) combined, so I'm dubious about that description as well.

The main problem with Radiohead (apart from the dreariness of the music that
wails on endlessly esp. through the second half of OK Computer) is the
horrid whininess of the vocalist.  Yuck.  "Subterranean Homesick Alien" is
the one salvagable track, although "Paranoid Android" is strong musically.
The rest you can skip....and I do.

>Speaking of "Mother Sky" ...
>Thursday, Oct 5, Bottom of the Hill, San Francisco:
>* Mushroom (with whom I will again be performing)
>* Subarachnoid Space

>* Damo Suzuki

Does he live out there or something?  Seems like he's either there or in
Seattle all the time.

>Should be a good one, and Circle / Village of Savoonga two days later.  Woo
>hoo!  Almost makes up for no trip to Brixton this month...

Say hi to Jussi (Circle bassist/vocalist) for me, and ask him if he's had a
chance to listen to the CDs I traded him.  The cool new tune with the Hassan
I Sahba (bridge)-esque riff is the opener from 'Prospekt'...very nice.  I
wanna know what's on that cover though...or maybe I don't?  :)

It's too bad that Circle is (supposedly) playing in LA on the 5th, as I'm
sure they'd love to be at the Mushroom/SAS/Suzuki show themselves.

Have fun at the shows...

Grakkl (FAA)