OFF: Radiohead

Tue Oct 3 18:02:44 EDT 2000

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Doug Pearson wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Oct 2000 21:48:36 +0100, Nick Lee <nick.lee2 at VIRGIN.NET> wrote:
> >Kevin Perry <kevin.perry at VIRGIN.NET> wrote:
> >>National Anthem off Kid A is a blatant rip-off of Turner Point (Out and
> >>Intakes)...
> >>
> >Fuck me! Of all the HW stuff they could rip-off they chose that???
>
> I find that MUCH more believable than the obviously-too-good-to-be-true
> "Silver Machine meets Mother Sky"!  (Come to think of it, while I've heard
> many good/very good covers of "Mother Sky" - by Loop, Th' Faith Healers,
> Skye Klad at SD2k, etc. ... NONE have matched the overwhelming BRILLIANCE
> of the original.  I don't think anyone could pull that off.)  And even a
> positive recommendation, in my book (remember, I already said I really like
> Faust).  D'you think Nik could sue and get rich ;^) ?  (yeah, yeah, I know
> you can't copyright "waterfowl noises" ...)

        I don't see the "ripoff" myself. Partly it's that `Turner Point'
has no riff to speak of and it's the dominating feature of `National
Anthem', and partly it's that the latter has a full brass section and none
of them sound like Nik to me, but mostly I can't believe they'd know the
track to rip it off. I still think it's good though. Nothing else on the
album really catches the attention like it. Yours,
                                                   Jon

     Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)       jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk