OFF: Radiohead

Thomas Rickert hijinks at UTARLG.UTA.EDU
Tue Oct 3 16:15:11 EDT 2000

I just listened to the new Radiohead, and I like it. I can't understand all the
backlash they seem to be getting on the list, but, hey, whatever. Kid A is
definitely moving further away from the guitar rock of their last two albums into
more atmospheric/ambient, psychedelic, or just art-y territory. Their direction on
Kid A has resonances with many sources (without really sounding quite like any of
them), including Krautrock, Brian Eno, U2 (their change in sound that began w/
their collaboration with Eno, Pink Floyd (their change in sound beginning w/ Dark
Side), and--believe it or not--Primal Scream. The one discussed in Jon's
post--"National Anthem"--is a cool bass groove with horn and brass jazzy skronk
layered in over the top, just like two tracks on Primal Scream's latest cd,
XTRMNTR (which is a really good cd w/ only one or two bum tracks).

Anyway, I really like the new one. It is dark and moody and well done, but
certainly I would agree that it would not be to everyone's taste. And this won't
be a big seller like OK Computer, either, I predict. Too slow and moody overall.

One surprise: hidden under the cd holder tray is a second booklet, with more
pictures and words.

Thomas