OFF: godspeed you black emperor!

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon Oct 9 08:35:21 EDT 2000

Andy said...

>Out today, magnificent new double LP/double CD, _lift
>yr. skinny fists, like antennas to heaven_.  Just as
>stonkingly brilliant as you'd expect.

Yeah, I just saw them last night at Oberlin College (my Mum's alma mater,
strangely enough), with Bardo Pond opening.  I was amazed at the turnout
(250-300?)...I guess if you go to a little dinky liberal arts college in a
one-light town on the outskirts of nowhere, not much else to do on a cold
Sunday night, except study.  Hence the big turnout! :)  Good thing they
charged $4 (for students), or some people wouldn't have gotten in.  (Sorry,
Doug P.)

Really good show...I'm not sure what they played - all their pieces have a
similar feel and development to them.  But I thought I recognized the first
track from both F#A#oo and Slow Riot, and then I guess the rest was stuff
from the new album (which they had there for sale, but I passed...not having
enough cash on me at the moment).  They didn't have any (spoken-word) vocal
tracks going on as they do on the albums, so it was all instrumental.  And
very loud at the loudest points....wall-of-sound loud, not so much
deafening.  And I think there were nine of 'em up there...three guitarists,
two bassists, one drummer, one add'l percussion, and the violinist/cellist duo.

I liked Bardo Pond too.  They actually have more definition to their music
live than on their albums, which can get a bit sludgy at times.  Again, I'm
not too sure what they played (I guess they have a new EP-length thing out
called "Slab" or something, but they only had it available as vinyl there at
the show), but it was only three or four tracks anyway (the first one a good
twenty minutes alone).

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  I think I saw that gybe! is doing a whole string of shows in London
next month (and I thought Manchester as well).  Worth the trip....very
intense sound.