HW:Nik Turner - Live At Deeply Vale 1978

Tue Oct 17 11:48:50 EDT 2000

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Andrew Gilham wrote:

> >>I saw this item Freak Emporium list. Is this CD-R or
> what?
>
> It's been released with Nik's approval, and it's a decent
> quality recording, all things considered.

        The packaging's nice, it's a proper job but it makes _Glastonbury
1990_ sound professional IMO; and at least there you have a band who were
*on* that night no matter how poor the tape; this is a decidedly uncertain
performance. It achieves some kind of hypnotic appeal after a few minutes
but it does show that Nik and Hari were the only people in the band who's
been involved in the writing of the songs. Nik's vocals are more or less
at random, too, but we expect that :-)

        I actually quite like this after a couple of plays, but I don't
think anyone should expect anything other than a bad live tape with nice
packaging going at full album price. Okay, it's rare, but caveat emptor
all the same. Yours,
                     Jon

And, speaking of bad live tapes: ObCassette - Black Sabbath - _Live
at Last_

     Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)       jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk