Brixton 2000: The Morning After

Kevin Perry kevin.perry at VIRGIN.NET
Sun Oct 22 08:41:52 EDT 2000

I'm still not completely back on Earth yet <g> but here's some of my
thoughts of last night...

Badges were cool - a collector's item one day maybe?  Thanks so much for
doing them!

I wasn't sure what to expect and after Croydon, I was a tad apprehensive,
but trying to keep an open mind...and very glad I did too.  It was almost a
perfect set for me based on what I wanted them to play - even some of the
conversations/dreams I'd had in the queue came true (Hurry On Sundown 2000).

High points: Spirit of the Age - great version and hearing 2000 people
chanting SotA in counterpoint to the band was just so cool; Wage War -
surprised they did it, but it was good; Moonglum - Huw at his best; Nik
playing flute on some tracks rather than sax; seeing Lemmy really getting
into it and seeming to enjoy himself being back with HW; Motorway City - the
crowd reaction again made it for me.

Oh, and managing to get rid of my spare ticket at the last minute :-)

Low points: Brainstorm - I guess it had to be played...again; Huw's guitar
on Shot Down In The Night had a problem - it's one of my favourite tracks so
I was a bit disappointed...but very pleased to hear it actually played;
Nik's sax still too loud; Shouldn't Do That was a bit untogether as was Born
To Go - they didn't need to replicate Yuri Gagrin that much :-); Nik
forgetting Simon in the credits at the end; Tim Blake's set (sorry, but he
simply can not sing and his voice spoilt the great 3am synth music).

And the f*cking sound system in the foyer.

I'm also going to throw away any vestiges of credibility I have left by
saying that I thought Sam Fox was good - I liked the Bridgett-era sound and
I'd much rather see Ms Fox stay in the band instead of Ron on vocals...now
there's an idea.  I thought she actually sounded spot on on MotU and has a
lot more energy and stage presence (and she's not trying to be Rob Calvert).

Mark (Hasbeen) - drop me an email about the mpeg.

---
Kevin Perry
Sonic Energy Authority
http://www.mountaingrill.co.uk/

"It is the business of the future to be dangerous;
and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its
duties."