HW: to the BRIXTON CREW 21/10

Filip Vanhuyse filip.vanhuyse at YUCOM.BE
Sun Oct 22 09:07:16 EDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Browne <jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2000 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: HW: to the BRIXTON CREW 21/10

> In message <000601c03bfe$2d944e80$b160883e at dj-gypo>, bedroom trancer
> <colm1 at MINISTRYOFSOUND.NET> writes
> >It was brilliant......
> >
> >:-)
> >
> >colm
>
> Yup, well, that was the one then, wasn't it?!
>
> best show I ever saw them do. Fantastic.
>
> my heads hurts
> --
> Jon

Well,I don't agree.
Actual it was one of the worst I've ever seen and I've seen a LOT.
Mind though it was FANTASTIC to see all those guys on stage,really orgasmic.
But it was obvious the rehearsals didn't went on very well.
What a shit was Hugh LLoyd Langton playing,real bad,and I love the man's
guitar playing(got all his stuff)
He completely messed up "Angels Of Death".I saw Dave's look at him while
playing it and it wasn't a pleasant one.
I saw Dave nodding his head and blowing steam of after the song.
Also the second part of "Hurry On Sundown" was a complete disaster.Although
when out of my skull when they
started it.I was thinking to myself:"The circle is round now".
When they started the show we were sitting on the balcony and the sound was
very very bad.
So we went downstairs and the sound was a little better but very flat and no
power.
It went better with the show getting on,but neverthenless.I saw shows they
were really cooking from the start.
Guess they had trouble with all the different lines and microphones.

Now for the good part."Spirit Of The Age" was awsome! One of the best
versions I've ever heard.
The bass battle between Alan and Lemmy send shivers through my spine.
Tim Blake was absolutely fabulastic!!! Really made my evening through all
the songs he played along.
I concentraded on him when they messed up again.
Also surprise of the day was Steve Swindells,he's got more up his sleeve
than we all think.
Furthermore the solo spot from Dave wasn't that good in my opinion.And I'm
the man who once said to Dave he could let a fart and record it,I would buy
it anyway.

Anyway,I was glad I was there (wouldn't have missed it for the world) but a
little criticism is in place here.
Also don't think this will be an annual event as Nik Turner pointed out at
the end of the evening.
Dave is too much a perfectionist to let that happen again.
Don't think there will be a live-cd too as too much went wrong.The Hawks
recorded the AB in Brussels some years ago
and they weren't perfect to Dave's standards,so they didn't release it,as
was the intention (a few songs were released on the cd:"In Your Area") and
that was a HELL of a gig (as I previosly mentioned).Or they have to do major
reconstruction and editing.

The Beehive was a good idea,met some guys and girls I couldn't put a face
to(hello Scott and Jill),but unfortually was there late (7.30 pm) due to
major Hawkwind record-shopping in London.(Found a test-pressing of the 3cd
"Epoch Eclipse 30th Anniversary"(really wicked) and a new Tim Blake "Crystal
Machine" cd for only £2 + lots of other stuff).
Shame didn't met Bernhard or Michael Blackman.Maybe next time.

Sorry to be so blunt but that's how I feel about the event.
So you can all start to shoot at the piano player now (I can take it).

best wishes and greetings
filip (still the) hawknut