brixton

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Sun Oct 22 14:27:43 EDT 2000

Well, it was interesting.

It was incredibly cool to finally put names to faces, and hanging
out at the Beehive was quite cool.

(Mike -- thanks for the badges.  Great idea.)

Headed over to the Academy, got stuck in queue #1 for an hour.
Get to the door only to be told that I'd been queuing in the wrong
line, and had to head to the back  on queue #2.  All in all, I spent
about 2 ~ 2 1/4 hours in line.

(Moral: never get ticketmaster.  or call the venue in advance
and ensure that you actually have tickets and not simple reservations!)

Got in (missed the intro band (Thanks, Dave, for waiting me for for an
hour!)), didn't realize that I could go to the balcony.

(sigh)

Spent the set grooving to the music, but missed all of the visuals.
At 4'11" tall, I couldn't see anything on the floor save for other people.

I'll need to get the video, I think.

High points for me, Spirit of the Age and Hurry on Sundown.  Just grand.

Could someone tell me what the history of Samathana Fox and the band
is?  Kris mentioned at the Beehive that she was going to turn up,
and I heard her, um, performance.

While looking for a place to sit, I headed up to the balcony for Tim Blake
and Bedouin.  I think that I might enjoy Tim's stuff on cd, but I really
didn't think he could carry it off live.

(for those of you with Tim Blake cds, how are they?)

Bedouin was....um, loud.  Nice to hear Wind, but I think the band is much
too [unnecessarily] loud for me.

Simon House was wonderful (...but, I have quite liked his solo
stuff.)  Ended much too abruptly, as they seemed to be in a hurry to
kick us out.  (Don't really know why, as we all ended up en masse outside
the damn tube station.)

As others have mentioned, extreme boos and hisses to the Academy's
ridiculous minirave going on in the lobby, with the horribly overpowering
sound system.

The people crashed out on the nasty, sticky floor were mildly interesting
as well.

Spent today sleeping ;-)  I don't regret coming, but mostly for the
people that I met and chatted with.

Arin
Arin Komins                            akomins at midway.uchicago.edu
Web Systems Administrator
University of Chicago/NSIT                      tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559