Brixton 2000: The Morning After - vocalists

bedroom trancer colm1 at MINISTRYOFSOUND.NET
Sun Oct 22 15:10:55 EDT 2000

kevin said:
.  I think Ron has been a complete
>disaster: he can't sing, he can't play bass (he beats Harvey for the 'worst
>bass player' accolade hands down) and he has no charisma - he comes across
>to me as being a complete and utter tw*t on stage.  If you're playing for
>free, fine, but if you're charging good money for tickets, then I don't
thin
>kit's right to see members of the band dicking around like that.  If it
>wasn't for losing the bassist, I think Dave should fire him straight away.

sorry to disagree kevin but i thought ron tree was quite good. This was only
the second time i have been lucky to see hawkwind live and the first time
that i have seen ron perform with hawkwind.
All before the gig i was expecting that when i saw ron perform that he would
be crap after reading so many comments made on this mailing list about him
in the past.
But i was pleasantly surprised a how good i think he was i must admit though
that he seems to have taken on a kind of calvert role in the group, which
may or may not be a bad thing. I felt he made the spoken word parts
interesting and did as good job at them as Nik turner did.
Anyway my highlights of the night was seeing steve swindells really getting
into it, seeing nik turner perform and the small jamming set he did with huw
after hawkwind finsihed. Loved it when he started palying the pink panther
tune!!! Of course seeing Lemmy there was fantastic too he really is one of
all all time greats aint he? The music went to a higher level when he came
on stage. Seeing simon house on violin was cool too, i liked tim blakes solo
set, very nice chill out music to listen to while having a smoke up in the
balcony! beudoin were very good and very very loud. My ears are still
ringing!!! Danny Thompson i never realised before last night how good a
drummer he is. Oh and Alan Davey looked liked he was loving it playing dual
bass with lemmy. And did anyone else notice that Nik and Dave didn't really
acknowlegde each other during the set?

Oh and i thought that Hawkwind drafting in Sam Fox was a brilliant idea!!!

cheers

colm