HW: Brixton

Denis Regenbrecht denis at D-RIDER.DE
Mon Oct 23 08:59:26 EDT 2000

Hi,

The meeting at the Beehive was a great idea! Meeting all the people in real
life and being able to put a face to the name (hi Geoff). Thanks again to
Michael for the excellent badges!!

The organization at the Academy was one of the worst I've ever seen. As
someone told here before those with Ticketmaster-"tickets" had to exchange
them to real ones at the box-office. It would have been ok, if someone had
put up a sign telling this. But without it we spend over 2 hours in 3
different queues being sent around by the security-guys. Very annoying!

The concert itself was outstanding! There are so many impressions still
floating around in my head I don't know where to start. All members seemed
to have a lot of fun playing and this feeling got also carried over to the
crowd.
Some good and bad things (in no particular order, right out of my head):
+ Dave playing guitar in the front and not hidden behind his synths
+ Alan was in top form
+ Tim contributed a lot, he was on stage about 75% of the whole time
+ the three grey-haired magi DikMik, Del and Harvey ;-)
+ Terry Ollis, wow can he play!
+ Lemmy, charismatic as ever
+ Steve Swindells seemed to have a lot of fun, he should stop making house
(or whatever he's into these days) "music" and start making real music again

- the crappy Techno-DJs in the foyer, someone should have pulled the plug
- way too high prices for merchandise stuff, especially if you consider the
GBP/euro-rate :-(
- Alan Powell and Thomas Crimble should have gotten a bit more time
- no Adrian Shaw, the biggest disappointment for me

and a lot more.
Sam Fox, despite fearing the worst, wasn't bad at all. She really fitted
into the whole night and her dancing-around with Dave and Lemmy was really
funny. BTW, nice dancers <g>.

Tim's solos set was also very good, despite having some problems with the
sound. I'm a great Blake-fan and eagerly hoped for "New Jerusalem". When he
finally played it... wow... one of the best versions ever. His new songs
from "The Tide of the Century" were great, too.

The Bedouin-set was remarkable, too. But not because the band played so
well (which they did, but a little bit too loud IMO), but rather as I had
the chance to meet Nik T. I'm sure he thought of me as a drooling idiot
standing there and not knowing what to say ;-). It was a great moment for
me nevertheless and Nik's a very nice guy.

Simon's set was another good one. He played a lot of his Spiral Realms
stuff, especially from the first record "Trip to G9". There was a woman
standing on the stage, but did she contribute in any way? If she sang
something, it was inaudible.

As soon as all the pics I've taken in the Beehive and in the Academy are
developed I will put them up onto my homepage.

(c)IAO

                         D+R
--
"Nothing is true - everything is permissible"

                                         Hassan I Sabbah
www.d-rider.de