HW: Hawkestra

Mark Lee mark at ESPARTO.UK.COM
Mon Oct 23 10:15:57 EDT 2000

Monday - bleeeeeuch, crawled in to work at 11:00 am, got home at
2pm Sunday and stayed up to go see Walter Trout Sun evening,
big mistake - should have slept...

Anyway FWIW here are a few of my thoughts.

Walking into the Beehive and seeing more Hawks fans in one
place than I've seen for bloody years - Fantastic.

I am convinced that the badges and flyers produced by our own
listmembers will become Kollektors Items - great job guys.

Queueing at the Academy - Did I miss something here, wandered
casually up to guy on door and said "Which queue mate ?", he looked
at my ticket and said "in you go pal - arms up !!".

Missed about half of the warm-up set, didn't care much about that, they
may have been OK, I wasn't paying attention.

Managed to get front and centre early on so got my face on some of
the shots Mr Dibs took from the stage - I'll have a word and see if they
were
his or done specifically for the band - might be able to coax a piccy or two
off him (Are you listening Dibster)

I must say that from where I stood I thought the sound was awful for the
first
several tracks and Ron looked bloody awful close up - he appeared very tired
and was below average, especially when you consider the energy he
has shown in the past.  I could see Dave banging away on the Guitar but
thought he was buried in what I thought was a bad mix, very muddy sound
which
didn't improve when I moved back up the venue.  Noticed several glances
from DB to various people, some of which were to say the least
'dissaproving',
in my opinion Alan D was too up-front in the mix vocally - I agree totally
with
previous comments about his vocal style, he isn't Lemmy, but he does try,
his
bassing was up to it's usual standard and until Lemster appeared he was
probably the best of the axe-wielders on stage.

I'm sorry but I think it's time Huw Lloyd stopped singing, no-one I spoke to
at the gig seemed to disagree, I went to the toilet...

What the F##k was that appalling noise in the bloody foyer !! Jeeesus, I
made it
past and up the stairs to check on merchandise.  Andy was right about the
people up there, not a bloody clue between them, picked up Crystal Machine
and Atomhenge anyway.

I totally lost track of who was coming on and off the stage with the
exception of
Nik and Lemmy, Nik as usual too loud for my liking but he injected a fair
amount
of enthusiasm and energy, Lemmy, what can you say, the bass battle seems to
have been settled now I think.

Somebody should shoot the bird with the tits !!!  As once stated on an
advert
in the UK,  "You can't sing, you can't dance, you can't play; you'll go far"
In my opinion the further from the group she goes, the better.

Martyn managed to pick up Ron's set-list so I'll get a copy up on the list -
he
still hasn't surfaced.

On the whole - it was an experience I'm glad I didn't miss, I would endure
the
hassle of getting there again,  there were so many moments through the night
that I think we could all write thousands of words with relative ease.

I'd like to thank everybody who had anything to do with the event from the
Beehive upwards for an absolute blast - cheers guys.

Low-Points Only one - Some B*****d put a hammer thru the back window of
my car - cheers f**kwit, you ruined the best night I've had for years.

Kevin, send me an IP address and we'll sort that Mpeg thing out, use
my work email dude, cheers.

Cheers guys

Mark (Hasbeen)Mark P Lee
IT Manager