HW: Hawkestra at Brixton

Nick Lee nick.lee2 at VIRGIN.NET
Mon Oct 23 14:10:03 EDT 2000

Just thought I'd air my thoughts on the proceedings...

Well, what a night!  No problems getting in, finding a friend I'd not seen
for years near the front of the queue sorted that one!
By  the time we'd got in and visited the bar we'd missed the support - not
much loss from little I did hear.  So there we were - all hyped up and
grinning like idiots.  I felt like I used as a kid on Christmas eve, waiting
for the main event.  What followed was the best HW show I've seen.  Yeah it
was bit rough around the edges, but everyone seemed to be having a great
time, on stage and off.
Highlights?  Spirit of the Age, Lemmy, dancers in school uniform, Alan,
Simon, Brainstorm, Hurry on Sundown, Dave playing loads of guitar, Dave and
Lemmy jamming together perectly, Assault & Battery/Golden Void, Shouldn't Do
That, Samantha Fox ('I am the Mistress of the Universe' indeed!), Silver
Machine... oh sod it, it was all great!
I though Bedouin played a blinder, myself but then I 'know the songs'.  Alan
seemd to be really getting off on getting to play a Bedouin set in front of
such a huge audience.
I missed Tim Blake due to drink, bog and general chilling out requirements.
Simon's set was beautiful when it peaked but plodded in between, the
instrumental Damnation Alley made it for me.
A big 'hi' to all those of you I managed to meet and a bigger 'hi' and a
'sorry' to those of I didn't.
And of course a massive thank you to Dave and the rest of the band and crew
for finally geting this one together.
As Nik said, lets do it again next year!

A Christmas party?  Sounds good to me!

Cheers,

Nick