Brixton 2000: The Morning After

Kirsten Procter kprocter at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK
Tue Oct 24 12:09:23 EDT 2000

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:41:52 +0100, Kevin Perry
<kevin.perry at VIRGIN.NET> wrote:
>I wasn't sure what to expect and after Croydon, I was a tad
apprehensive, Croydon was the first time I saw Hawkind, and I loved
it, but then I am a wee young thing and so on...

>conversations/dreams I'd had in the queue came true (Hurry On
Sundown 2000). <beam>

>High points: Spirit of the Age - great version and hearing 2000
people >chanting SotA in counterpoint to the band was just so cool;
Wage War - <g> Those people who've met me will realise that I hate
SotA (shock horror - it's just been overplayed in my presence) but I
actually found it bearable - and the same is true of Sonic Attack, so
they must have been good (It's alright, I've built a pyre over there,
if someone could just find some matches I'll go tie myself to the
stake)
>Motorway City - the
>crowd reaction again made it for me.

Ah, there was so much good, I'm not sure I actually can pull out
specific songs.   I seem to have spent lots of time going 'Wow...'

>Low points: Brainstorm - I guess it had to be played...again; Huw's
guitar Brainstorm would have been better if I could have heard it,
imho. Same could be said of Master of The Universe and whatever came
after it (where I could hear nothing whatsoever).

 The main problem I had, however, was the lights. I'm perhaps
slightly odd, and I've been ill recently anyway, but I've never had
adverse reactions to lights before, and I did find them so strong
that I felt sick and headachey and at two points actually completely
broke down (once during Brainstorm, which I couldn't hear anyway, so
no loss, but next in Silver Machine, which was a bit of a nuisance
</understatement> and more than once had to dash for air/water...

 It's a credit to the underlying musicality of Hawkwind as an entity
that the whole thing was , onb balance, rather splendid....

> Tim Blake's set (sorry, but he
>simply can not sing and his voice spoilt the great 3am synth music).

By this time I was far too tired and sick to actually concentrate,
which was a shame as it sounded like I should be enjoying it...

>And the f*cking sound system in the foyer.
Indeed. I can't help feeling that had they been louder, this would
have been less of a problem, however.

 Kirsten (icyi, I attach to Jon Jarrett)
--
Kirsten Procter                                                 ghoti
NP: Motoerhead - 1916