HW: Brixton - Motorhead

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue Oct 24 14:30:04 EDT 2000

Doug asked...

>I, too, am curious.

I was there, and saw quite a few other listmembers, including Scott H. who I
was staying with then, and Kevin Sommers I ran into.  The Edinburgh
contingent (Mike H. and Jill) were seen also.  I think Lascko was there also.

>I wanna know if there was a version of "Motorhead" performed with Dave
>Brock, Larry Wallis, Fast Eddie, Brian Robertson, Wurzel & Phil Campbell
>(and anyone else who's ever played guitar on that song with Lemmy) trading
>guitar licks.

No.  Sadly, Motorhead was not performed...the encore was Ace of Spades and
Overkill IIRC.  MH's event was far different than the Hawkestra.  It was
'merely' a 105-min. concert by the current trio, with an occasional guest
showing up.  First out was Doro Pesch and a young singer/guitarist (who was
that again, Scott?). Then Fast Eddie jumped out to play on The Chase is
Better than the Catch.  The last song ("Bomber" I think, or maybe "Killed by
Death") had Wurzel coming out to play with Phil C., Eddie, and another young
guy (one of these guys was perhaps Lemmy's son I think).  Though Wurzel's
guitar was never 'plugged' in I don't think!

Then for Overkill I think they had at least four guitarists, maybe five out
there...and Brian May was one of them.  Strange.  And some bald dude from
another band I'd never heard of.

Anyway, the coolest 'reunion' was that for Bomber and the encore, when they
brought back the giant 'airplane stage prop' (visible on the cover of No
Sleep 'till Hammersmith) that flew over the band with all sorts of flashing
lights (and spinning lights for propellers), and was handled like a puppet,
mimicking strafing runs and such.  Very impressive device.

This was easily the most interesting Motorhead show I'd ever seen....great
fun. Perfectly loud, and surprisingly good sound and mix (Wurzel
notwithstanding).  Excellent Orgasmatron, Metropolis, No Class, Iron Fist,
lots of stuff from Overnight Sensation and the new album - all very good.

Sadly, no Philthy Taylor or Robbo.  Mickey Dee and Lemmy played every song
on drums and bass, respectively.  No Alan Davey in site.  :)

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  Hawkwind event was surreal...at 5 AM, I thought I was in the middle of
a refugee camp.  With casualties of war all around, some draped over each other.