HW: Reunion thoughts

SHLL (Scott Heller) SHLL at NOVO.DK
Wed Oct 25 04:39:10 EDT 2000

Hawkwind Reunion

Well, I survived and it was great! It was so nice to meet up with all the
Hawkfans at the Beehive. Some I had never met before like Jill, Filip, Mike
Holmes, Andy G (both), Steve Lindsey, and many others..

As for my thoughts on the gig.. Fantastic. No it was not the most perfect
playing and the only low spot was huw Lloyd langton. Everyone seems to go
easy on him but he was dreadful. He was so pissed he could not even play.
Shot down in the night is so awful and rocky paths, he was so confused he
was not sure what song he was even trying to play. It was interesting to
note that he got up a few times and strung on his guitar during the set with
lemmy but thankfully the sound man had turned him down so you could hardly
hear him.. phew.. I do like his playing normally. He was a great guitar
player in the past.

Tim Blake was the stand out guy for the night. He played like hell and
filled in when ever he could. I think some of the space ritual stuff sounded
pretty weird when we are used to the electronic noises of del and dik mik
and here comes this beautiful tim blake synth sweep which sounded so out
ofplace.. but what the hell. No one seems to mention keith hales also who
was right up front on the right and played nearly the whole concert it
seems.

The core band was clearly Richard, alan, dave and tim blake. Steve Swindells
played a hell of a lot as well.

It was a lot of fun. I wish the sound had had more power to it as it was a
thin sound and not that clear at times. Motorhead the next night was
fantastic and loud as hell but not as loud as I had feared. They also had
their problems, as they had these great special guests, doro pesch, phils
son, fast eddie, brian may, wurzel and fast eddie was the only guitar player
you could hear and just barely. Phil campbells guitar was so loud the sound
guy could nto even turn the other guys up enough to compensate so you saw
these guys up there jamming but heard nothing.

Back to Hawkwind.. my favorite songs were Spirit of the Age and Space is
Deep. The Hurry on Sundown part was very cool as well.  I will always
remember this show. I was a bit tired though.

        scott