HW: Weird CDs

David Bottomley merlinas at DIRCON.CO.UK
Wed Oct 25 14:00:13 EDT 2000

>For all I know this subject has aleady been done to death here but anyway..
>what do people think of the Weird CDs? Any specific recommendations? I
>picked up no.4 (live '78) at the Academy, I'm a sucker for anything with
>Calvert on it.  Only played it once so far but not overwhelmed, doesn't
>sound as good as Thrilling Adventures on first listen. Any views on this or
>the other Weirds?

Well, my personal fave would have to be Free Festivals for the versions of
High Rise & Damnation Alley & also the Watchfield stuff. But it's just great
to finally have them on CD. Question, though. I remember picking up a flyer
at the Croydon gig which claimed that the Weird CDs would have extra tracks.
Now, I've only got 1 to 4 so far, but no sign of those extras (apart from an
extended Angels of Life on 1 with a never-heard-before Calvert rant - great
stuff). How about 5, 6, & 7? Anything new there? And what about Weird 8? Any
sign of that coming out to complete the set?

Dave