HW: Synth sounds at the gig

SHLL (Scott Heller) SHLL at NOVO.DK
Fri Oct 27 05:12:29 EDT 2000

        Hej,

        There seems to be a lot of discussion of the synth sounds at the
gig. I think everyone agrees that Tim did a great job and was by far the
major contributor of synth work. Next would be Steve Swindells, but he was
mixed lower but was on stage for a lot of the concert before Lemmy came out.
Harvey was in and out and did some great spacey stuff for his intro to
Freefall and then he did come out and add some more sounds later. As for Del
and Dik Mik, they were difficult to hear.  I think one thing that will sound
strange to people was when Lemmy came out and Ron introduced Earth Calling,
at this time you could hear del and dik mik with the electronics but when
the blanga began, and there was a lot of it, when some of the space ritual
stuff kind of degenerated and no one really knew where it was going, they
were quite hard to hear and then tim would come across the sound scape with
this beautiful tim blak new age synth sweep that sounded so out of place...
Almost funny... Somemight find these new synth sounds a cool addition to the
nearly pure electronic sounds from the versions of the early 70's, but

        Well, if they do decide to release the gig unedited, they will for
sure leave Shot down in the night, Rocky Paths and Moonglum out unless they
get Huw to go back in the studio and overdub what should have been played...

        I also think that without seeing the video it will be nearly
impossible to get who was playing on each track correct. During silver
machine they had 15 members on stage, I wrote this down during the gig..
Also, Terry Olis came on an off like 4 times. He started out drumming on
Born to Go and bailed in the middle and Richard took over. Also, Allan
Powell, for sure played in the far left corner with Martin Griffins.

        Wow.. on reflection, this was such an incredible concert.. I am so
glad that I made the effort to be there.

        scott