HW: Weird CDs

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Oct 27 19:57:59 EDT 2000

In message <3.0.6.32.20001027163038.0099b2d0 at pop.sirius.com>, Doug
Pearson <ceres at SIRIUS.COM> writes
>On Sat, 28 Oct 2000 00:07:42 +0100, Nick Medford <nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.C
>O.UK>
>wrote:
>>In message <3.0.6.32.20001024185640.00998ab0 at pop.sirius.com>, Doug
>>Pearson <ceres at SIRIUS.COM> writes
>>>But then again, all 3 versions of "Uncle Sam" ('76 Neu-like version of
>>>'Thrilling Adventures'...
>>
>>Agreed. However the one on Thrilling Adventures I find particularly
>>curious, because the rhythm sounds- to me anyway- suspiciously like
>>Opa-Loka. Given that this is the earliest version, my theory is that the
>track
>>originated as a Calvertian rant during O-L. Anyone know if this is the case?
>
>Well, "Opa-Loka" IS the OTHER Hawkwind song that sounds like Neu.  And
>Simon King IS credited with co-writing both songs ("Opa-Loka" with Powell,
>"Uncle Sam's On Mars" with Brock, Calvert & House).  And they're the same
>two-chord progression (more or less).  So you DEFINITELY could be onto
>something there ... (although a list of Hawkwind songs that sound sorta
>like other Hawkwind songs would NOT be a short one!)
>
>        -Doug
>         ceres at sirius.com

On the subject of Neu and Krautrock... did anyone catch Faust's
performance in London (at the RFH) on Wednesday night? I really wanted
to go but couldn't make it. I'd be fascinated to read any reports.

--
Nick Medford