Rob the b**tard!

Sun Oct 29 14:18:44 EST 2000

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, g.m.wright wrote:

> After all the fuss we had earlier during the year over the voiceprint
> releases of such as the collectors series vol. 1 & 2, I thought I'd
> just say a BIG thank you to Rob of Voiceprint for the excellent
> Hawkwind & related Releases now available. Good sounds & excellent
> packaging. Cheers Rob.

        I was going to say, hasn't anyone posted about how good
_Atomhenge_ is yet? Because it is. Nice packaging, NO SPELLING MISTAKES
(on a Hawkwind release), lots of scary photos (doesn't Calvert look
young? I mean tyhey all do but him especially), and generally a
success. The source tape is a bit dodgy mix-wise, but suitable mucking
about with the five-band EQ on the machine I've so far palyed it on
managed to get Rudolph and Clavert down to a point where the others could
be heard. I guess there's only a couple of channels if that on the source
tape though as the rest of the band definitely get louder when Bob and
Paul aren't being obvious. Paul Rudolph was on excellent form for this gig
- what happened to that talent? I thought, judging from ASAM and the Pink
Fairies '75 gig he'd already lost it but this recording shows me to be
wrong. Bob on the other hand - well, let's just say he covers his fluffs
well but there are an awful lot of them. Nonetheless, an excellent release
of much better standard than the previous Collectors' series stuff, and
the only thing that would have improved it would have been some more
details in the inlay - names of players, instruments, track times, writing
credits and so on. After all, there is stuff on this which isn't out
elsewhere so credits are in order.

        This said, I reckon Voiceprint still have a lot of ground to make
up before I start to conside them a credible label. The early Collectors'
series stuff with the wrong sleeves on, the dreadful sounding source
tapes... and it's not just the Hawkwind stuff either. I picked up the
second Kingdom Come CD when I was in Canterbury and it doesn't even have
a full track listing. It gives the normal album listing and then says,
"extra tracks". And what are they? Well, there's three more indexed on the
CD than are listed, but that's because the last one on the CD is split in
the middle and there are only two bonus tracks, both of which are
alternate versions of tracks on the album. So not very impressed with
that. And as for pressing CDs from the wrong tape - let's just say the
word `cowboys' is not far from my lips when discussing Voiceprint. But
hey, the stuff is coming out, I was beginning to think it would never
happen, so if this is what has to come with it I'll sit and take
it. Yours,
           Jon

     Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)       jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk