No Dope + Hawkwind??????

Melvyn Vincent mel at MVA.U-NET.COM
Mon Oct 30 20:20:40 EST 2000

I watched the last couple of songs @ Hawkestra,Brixton from the circle.
At the end,as everyone started leaving their seats,a guy stumbled into me
from behind looking in a bad way.....
"Are you OK mate?",I asked
" Ugh...errrrr.....Have you got any dope?" he asked. To which I replied........
"No mate.....I'm not into that".
"Then what the f**k are you doing here!",he replied
"I've never needed it", I said
"Ahhhh...f**king bollocks!",was the response.

Now.......some questions for all you Hawksters out there.
I've been following HW since 1972.......and......(this is the truth)....I
have never taken drugs ( ie Dope,LSD,etc).
In fact the most lethal concoction I used to consume prior to a HW gig in
my late teens was a few pints of Whitbread Trophy........( Now beat that
for pure shit!!!!!)
Am I mad? Is it really possible to enjoy HW without the aid of mind
altering drugs?
Are there any other fans out there that 'get off' on HW without getting
'stoned'?
Or........am I the odd one out? All my mates at college use to say to me
that the only way anyone could enjoy HW was to get 'stoned'.
I didn't agree then and at 43 yrs old now I still don't agree.

Are there any other 'non druggies' out there that are into HW?
Or am I alone?

Mel