BOC: Drumming and bass and Exlax

Brad Dahl dahl at AROS.NET
Fri Sep 1 05:26:49 EDT 2000

Hey guys,

I was just listening to the "Original Master Recording" of BOC, S/T and
Tyranny and Mutation and I was thinking "The drumming on Tyranny and
Mutation is totally possessed".  In my opinion this is one of the greatest
display of tasteful and fabulously amazing drumming ever recorded.  I wonder
what Albert considers his best recorded drum work?

In a previous post, someone mentioned Danny being a better bass player than
Joe.  I don't know how you can really say one guy is better than the other
on any instrument (unless one of them sucks).  Joe has always been on of my
greatest bass influences.  I wish he was still playing bass.  His bass parts
are a big reason that most of us consider the first 3 albums to be the best.
Danny is a great player as well, but listen to HF and tell me if it wouldn't
have been just as good with somebody else playing on it.  There is no way
the first 3 albums would have been so great without either Al or Joe.
Nobody else was playing like that back then (that I know of).

Part of the reason that RBN doesn't quite make much of a statement is
because the drumming has little flavor (the production on the drums is
pretty lame as well).

I actually like the drumming on CN.

There have been many good drummers in BOC of recent years, but part of the
current problem is lack of a consistent voice coming from that instrument.

They are going to be here in SLC on Saturday, but I won't be able to see
them because I have to work.  For some reason, I don't feel like I'll be
missing too much (since they are basically doing the same show they've been
doing the past 5 years).  I realize there is a lot to putting out a new
album, but I wish they could do it in my lifetime and when they tour,
feature more of the new songs.  There are many songs off HF I'd love to hear
them play and I've never heard them play anything off CN (that ought to stir
a few people up).

and John, I think we have you to thank for the increased BOC content on the
list.  Way to stir 'em up!

Anybody like the new UFO album?  I'm still giving it a few whirls before I'd
like to comment.

Back to pregnant women OD'ing on Exlax,

Brad Dahl, reporting live from the Utah Poison Control Center