BOC: Drumming and bass and Exlax

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Fri Sep 1 10:05:20 EDT 2000

> I was just listening to the Original Master Recording of BOC, S/T and
> Tyranny and Mutation and I was thinkingThe drumming on Tyranny and
> Mutation is totally possessed.  In my opinion this is one of the greatest
> display of tasteful and fabulously amazing drumming ever recorded.  I wonder
> what Albert considers his best recorded drum work?

its a shame we'll never get a mofi remaster of Secret Treaties. 'twould be cool
all cleaned up and stuff.

IN an interview Albert did with a certain D.Frost in 88 or so (for Modern Drummer?)
, he had made the comment that he thought the drumming was wild and all over the place on T&M. Later he said
he most enjoyed druymming on Burnin for You because he had worked out
all the parts ahead of time and went in to record his track w/Buck on bass
since total band run throughs weren't quite getting the job done.

More recently if i remember skimmin the tBS board on AOL hes made coments about getting
back to the wilder all over the place style and digging it.

> I don't know how you can really say one guy is better than the other
> on any instrument (unless one of them sucks).
That sounds like words to live by.

>Joe has always been on of my
> greatest bass influences.  I wish he was still playing bass.  His bass parts
> are a big reason that most of us consider the first 3 albums to be the best.
> Danny is a great player as well, but listen to HF and tell me if it wouldn't
> have been just as good with somebody else playing on it.  There is no way
> the first 3 albums would have been so great without either Al or Joe.
> Nobody else was playing like that back then (that I know of).

Dont forget though that Al and joe's unique rhytmn section developed out of playing with each other for
years in the Regal tones and other acts...and long stretches of playing with buck
in Clarkson.

Danny given time will be a viable goooood addition to the BOC lineup. just let him write
a  bit... get away from those bloody bloom power chord monotonous-o-ramas

> Part of the reason that RBN doesn't quite make much of a statement is
> because the drumming has little flavor (the production on the drums is
> pretty lame as well).
ditto Heaven forbid.
I think part of it has also to do with the way some of the tracks were records.
the biggest production disappointments for me were Harvest Moons sound and
Still burnin'.  Those  two are weeeeedy. See you in black has some good drummery
and it was produced chunkily like a rock song should be.

> There have been many good drummers in BOC of recent years, but part of the
> current problem is lack of a consistent voice coming from that instrument.

Not to mention that voice being assimilated as a creative option not just playing
OLD ditties under buck and erics tunesmithery.. such as it is (cough).
It would be cool if BOC started doing cant get next to you from the red and the black
days. hehehe. cuold at least dredge up wings of mercury.

If BOC ever decided to celebrate the anniversary of SWU it would be nice to actually do
some of the lanier tunes from that era. i know he did gil blanco county.

Off to the state fair o'er the weekend with fam-ill-lee,
Jason