BOC: A few random thoughts / FAQ

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Mon Sep 11 08:27:18 EDT 2000

> > Anyway, my wife and I had a little argument. I seem to recall this bit where
> > EB would pretend to cut his palm with a razor, complete with fake blood and
> > all. My wife says I dreamed this, she doesn't recall it at all. I don't
> > remember what song he did this in but I'm certain he did it.
> >

> We did that for awhile in Unknown Tongue. Eric got a couple rubber knives in a
> joke shop and would load 'em up with fake blood and during that part of the
> song he'd just squeeze the handle. We only did it in UT, never in 7SDB.
> Al

I believe they did it a few times after you left Al - I never witnessed
it personally, but I've got a live tape (either around '84 or '92 -
memory fails here) where Eric did the rap about selling his sould to the
Devil for a record contract, and when mentioning the part about "You
gotta sign it in blood", Eric says something about never going anywhere
in New York without his "trusty blade", and then you can hear on tape a
lengthy buildup, and Eric comes back saying "So I signed my name in
BLOOD" - I seem to recall confirming this with someone that he actually
did the palm-cutting thing.  Anyways, I assume this was after you were
out of the band - I believe that you guys didn't do 7SDB much after
about 1975 (and of course UT came out much later, 1981, so I would bet
Eric got his little toy somewhere around that time?

> >It sure is great getting things like this straightened out right from the
> >horses mouth (so to speak). Way better than reading that dusty ol' FAQ!
> >Personally, cliche` though it may sound, for me the 70's are pretty much of
> >a blur. Now I can say, "neener, neener" to my wife with confidence! hehe
>
> Although I'm sure JB didnt meant the FAq line maliciously, I gotsta say
> that the FAQ is hands down THE best internet resource on anying BOC
> related. Sure its long  but its full o' quality and hard work. A lot of
> what brought it about was trawling from BOCl'ers  as well as contributions
> from former BOC members, Bolle Gregmar and, oh yeah, John :). I think its
> indispensable and wish that 3OC's official website had a millionth of what
> the FAQ contains. (which btw, the official site has the lyrics on it now,
> so save your $$ on the lyric book)

Hey, no offense taken here!  :-)

Lyrics are on the website, huh?  I had heard that Bolle had been trying
to work on that - well, maybe all the people who've been bitching on
alt.music.blueoystercult about having to buy a lyric book can stop now.  ;-)

> I'm a big Hawkwind and BOC fan who's just joined the list, so could someone
> tell me where the FAQ resides?  I was pointed to the listserv address by a
> correspondent (thanks Steven!)

http://members.aol.com/bocfaqman

Enjoy!

John (bocfaqman at aol.com)