HW: Hawkwind press release

Fri Sep 15 17:05:41 EDT 2000

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Doug Pearson wrote:

> >        Gwyo Zepix (for such is the name under which he trades) is
> >talented to the point where I don't understand. At Canterbury he was
> >playing Tim's parts on one synth and a pseudo-saxophone line (because of
> >there being no Bloomdido Bad de Grasse) on another, which he was
> >modulating with a mouth controller. And it was all done extremely
> >well. How he can concentrate on all three things and what's going round
> >him as well I simply cannot understand - it seems impossible to me.
>
> It's not impossible, since I've come close.  As the lead singer and
> keyboard/synth player in Ad Hawk, I've done songs like "Assault & Battery"
> and "Ejection" with my right hand playing chords/melodies, my left hand
> turning knobs to make synth noises, and my foot controlling another synth
> with a CV (control voltage) pedal, all while singing.  Hardly impossible,
> but certainly not easy!  And, in all fairness, it must be stated that Gong
> songs are *definitely* more difficult than Hawkwind songs - I'd have
> trouble doing anything more than trying to keep up with Tim's parts during
> some of those jumping 6/8-rhythm songs.

        Well, I don't understand how you do it either, OK :-)

> That's too bad that you had to see Gong without a sax player (even if Gwyo
> did a good job of covering); the guy they have with them on this tour (I
> don't recall his name) is very, very good.

        Theo Travis, if it's him you mean, was there, but not on
form. I've seen him with Porcupine Tree and he is pretty good, if not
Didier - but at Canterbury he just didn't seem to be firing on all
cylinders. The synth was louder than he was in the mix so that may have
given me a false impression but he didn't seem to be there very
much. Yours,
             Jon

--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 741219)           jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk
 | "Zeron Gamma Two continuum entropy control parameters - AFFIRMATIVE!" |