OFF: music A->D conversion and cleanup

Denis Regenbrecht denis at D-RIDER.DE
Sat Sep 16 15:00:35 EDT 2000

Hi,

>As for eliminating crackle and hiss, there are plugins for SoundForge
>and CoolEdit that do this.  My advice is to be wary of using it, if you
>don't want to annihilate the original recording.  I tried "cleaning up"
>the _Atomhenge 76_ bootleg by Lone Wolf using CoolEdit, and even though
>I didn't use a lot of noise reduction, the result left the original
>robbed of noticeable ambience compared to the original

Really?
I use Cool Edit and never had any such problems. A while ago I cleaned up a
live-tape from the ASAM-Tour. The results I got were really impressive
compared to the original recording. I could reduce most of the tape-hiss
and other annoying stuff without suffering too much loss.

>(and that was aside from the audible noise reduction artifacts that were
>added!).

Added artifacts? I never encountered them before. What kind of artifacts?
Do you have the demo-version of the CE audio-cleaning plugin? The
demo-versions adds random bell-like sounds.

>I would be tempted to say forget crackle and noise reduction, if you are
>concerned about sound quality.  Put a lot of effort into cleaning your
>LPs before digitising them, instead. :-)  For any bad pops, you can
>remove them individually "by hand".  That is much better than letting
>some algorithm have at it.

ACK.
And a good record-player with a new needle (I hope it's called the same in
English than in German) isn't bad either.

(c)IAO

                         D+R