OFF: music A->D conversion and cleanup

Dan Witt lwitt1 at USWEST.NET
Sat Sep 16 15:11:23 EDT 2000

> The thing is, most computer sound cards are total bunk for doing this
> sort of thing.  For one, the noise inside a PC case is not conducive at
> all to a good transfer.  So, if you're serious about sound quality,
> you'll want (nay *need*) to invest in an *external* ADC converter, and
> then get a decent PC card that does digital in *without* resampling.
> (There is a cheap card that does bit-for-bit digital in---Zoltrix
> Nightingale, ISTR, but I may be wrong.)
>
> As for eliminating crackle and hiss, there are plugins for SoundForge

There is a TON of info on this subject on the web, actually way more
than we could ever provide you with in this forum.  If you really want
to know what you're doing I suggest you read some of the faqs and do a
search at dejanews.com in the usenet department using keywords like
"soundforge", "hiss removal", "lp", "best results", you get the idea.

Transferring an lp is somewhat time consuming, and something you really
only want to do once, best to do it right the first time.

dan