BOC: Imaginos, part 1 - "Invisibles"

Johnny Firic johnnybravo5858 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 16 15:12:39 EDT 2000

Hi folks,

I've originally intended to put this essay on my website. I've kinda lost
interest in the website, though, and I'm posting it here, in the vein of the
old "Saga of Imaginos" by Bryce Baker, which is now part of the FAQ.

1. It's open for discussion
2. It's very large - 5000+ words, so I'm posting song by song.

WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT: THE CONCEPT OF "IMAGINOS"

"The entire story has not been told yet and only time will tell if the story
will end and the riddle begin." (Albert Bouchard, 1994)

You should at all times bear in mind that this is MY PERSONAL OPINION. It's
open for discussion. Also, I've been told, it's difficult to follow without
looking at the lyrics at the same time, so go to the Fan club website
quickly!

1. LES INVISIBLES
-----------------

Beyond doubt, the first song of the Imaginos cycle is "Les Invisibles", and
from its tone it is obvious that it was - lyrically - intended to be the
curtain raiser. Musically, the curtain raiser was of course the Overture.
The "world axis" is the 0th meridian. On it lays the city of London, and in
it is "the Empress", Elizabeth I. The remainder of the first two verses plus
the chorus (the lines "Seven sleepers" to "Samedi and Petre, in Alchemy") is
all about occult stuff, pagan rituals etc.; topics such as these were rather
popular all over western Europe at the time - cf. Shakespeare's "Midsummer
night's dream" (Shakespeare was a contemporary of Elizabeth I). As for the
3rd verse, the "Four Quarters" probably means the four 'elements' (Earth,
Air - or Wind-, Fire, Water), a concept present in (and essential for) many
occult rituals. "Twinned in the mirror" could mean two things: a) that the
events foreseen by Dee &co. in the mirror actually started happening in the
'real world', or b) that they were the agents of this - what they learned
from looking into the mirror, they put into practice: so, the actual events
could later be said to have been 'twinned in the mirror'.