BOC: Imaginos, part 8 - the song order, again

Johnny Firic johnnybravo5858 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 16 15:16:37 EDT 2000

8. THE ORDER OF THE REMAINING SONGS (2)
---------------------------------------

That didn't put you off? Great!

The order of the remaining songs has, I believe, been established. Just to
refresh your memory, we have:

        6. Astronomy,
        7. In the presence... ,
        8. The siege & investiture... , and
        9. Magna of illusion.

However, in "Astronomy", an important change takes place as Imaginos
realizes he is "descended from the stars". He becomes aware of his
supernatural powers, most notably his ability to move forward and backward
through time - which enables him to "place himself on vital junction points
in history", if I remember the quote correctly. All songs (except Magna, but
that's not the issue now) are told from HIS point of view. Since he is
'jumping through time', the sixth and seventh song in the cycle, for
example, don't necessarily happen BEFORE (in 'our', historical time) the
eighth and ninth song. The nasty thing is that this enormous change, this
'inference' which started it all, happened during "Astronomy", not before it
and not after it, and I am not 100% certain where to draw the line. From the
line "I'm sure to be the lucky one" (which of course happens before "the
inference", it is clear that he did not deem himself above or beyond an
ordinary human life, together with good luck and bad luck, despite his
mysterious connection with Les Invisibles. The nature of this connection was
probably unclear to him at the time. Pictorially, you could say that he
thought it was a relationship of a deity and its worshipper (or even
priest), as opposed to direct descendant!
Anyway, that is why some songs aren't chronologically in tune with others.