BOC: Imaginos, part 9 - Susie

Sun Sep 17 13:23:10 EDT 2000

        Similarly, I have a few problems with this one. For a start, I
_do_ think D&S is part of the cycle - but my thinking behind it involves
an assumption radically different to yours, viz that Imaginos is a single
time-travelling character. It's my impression rather that he is multiple
characters, born many times to play many roles. The crucial and first one
is Del Rio, later the Captain, who plants the seed of evil in Europe in
the form of the mirror, yes, I'm right with you there. But I don't think
that's the only role he plays. I think at least in 1944 we see him as Von
Ondine in that last Me. 262, and I think as he winks out in `44 another
`modified child' is born. "I only live to be born again"...

        All these people are Imaginos - the body changes, but the mind is
always the same. The character has to be awoken however. The first
awakening to my mind covers several songs, as you've said, and I'm not
sure Von Ondine is ever awoken - in `ME262' he's clearly in the grip of
powesr beyond him but he doesn't know what they are. But I see D&S as the
ceremony of awakening for the third incarnation I've mentioned - the boy
has spent ten years, which in `63 is half his life - it's not far off a
birth in `44, is it? - getting ready, he doesn't know what for, and it's
the rite described in D&S. Where does it lead? Well, I'd say, and this is
an opinion I meant to textually justify once upon a time in much the same
way you have, it leads to `R U Ready to Rock?' and the musical
manifestation of the Blue Oyster Cult themselves. In which case, who's
Imaginos, well, uh... I wouldn't like to say, he might well be reading :-)

        Quite how Susie fits into `Astronomy' though I can't
figure. Another repeating character? A role played by different
women? Maybe your theory has more in it :-) Yours,
                                                   Jon

--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 741219)           jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk
 | "Zeron Gamma Two continuum entropy control parameters - AFFIRMATIVE!" |