BOC: Imaginos, part 2 - WoTT

Johnny Firic johnnybravo5858 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 17 14:20:30 EDT 2000

>I've always seen this as a much
>later song in the cycle. It seems to me that the character singing is
>Imaginos in his Del Rio character, and the song deals with how his eyes
>were opened by Les Invisibles.

I am a sailor on the raging depths
And I know a thing or two
Back to the corner, mates, and over the side
Yes, I know a thing or two

mates=his friends; over the side = ?

heh. Are you referring to Del Rio, *before*, or Desdinova, *after* the
resurrection? Either way, it seems to me excessive to devote an entire song
to such explanation. *Before*, there was so much unknown, unclear to him,
that not much could be 'explained'; *after*, so much is explained in "Blue
Oyster Cult". What's more, there was the BOC Reprise, which, as I've been
told, is really only another version of BOC. I take this was an attempt to
'underline' BOC (the song), thus making the additional explanatory song even
more unnecessary.

But I may be wrong of course. Actually here's the FAQ listing:

Act One: The Imaginos album we're familiar with.
Act Two: Bombs over Germany
               Workshop Of The Telescopes
               The Girl That Love Made Blind *
               ME 262
               The Red And The Black
               Cities On Flame **
               Shadow Of California
               Half-Life Time +
               Veteran Of The Psychic Wars ++
               Career Of Evil ++
Act Three: The Mutant Reformation
               Take Me Away ++
               The Vigil ++
               ETI
               R. U. Ready 2 Rock
               Heavy Metal
               Flaming Telepaths
               Gil Blanco County *
               Redeemed

Note WoTT at the beginning of Act 2, and Flaming Telepaths toward the end.
If we take this to be a *trilogy* in a strict sense, then each unit (Act)
must be to some extent self-sufficient. In that sense, WoTT might be placed
there (at the beginning of Act 2) to sort of explain the background of the
story, for those who haven't heard Act 1. I've just thought of this. But I
don't know, things sorta fall into place my way. In the other FAQ listing,
for the 'full' version of the 1st act, as intended by Albert, there's no
mention of WoTT. In that listing, however, the 1st act includes also Gil
Blanco County, The Girl that love made blind, and Half-life time. Maybe in
that case there is more need of 'explanation' at the beginning of Act II? I
haven't heard these songs yet, but I'm planning to, via a fellow boc-l-er.
So I may have more on those later.

As for Flaming Telepaths: towards the end of his life, in the second half of
the 20th century, he realizes how pointless everything's been (see the end
of my bit on Magna), and he says to himself, or imagines the gods saying:
"and the joke's on you!"

Doesn't it tie in nicely?

>And isn't Haiti referred to as the world's
>axis in the _Imaginos_ sleeve notes?

I don't remember! Is it?

>but I somehow
>feel that Elizabeth and Drake have very little to do with the cycle - both
>are only implied by John Dee on the original album and he is, it seems to
>me, only mentioned to give `pedigree' to the use of the black jade
>mirror. Convince me :-) Yours,
>                                Jon

but it can't be the same mirror! His mirror is in the British Museum.(And
when I was in London, I forgot I was going to go and see it!)

I've also said (I think in "Imaginos") that there's no real connection
between the 16th century episode and the 19th century episodes. Basically we
only have "Salamander Drake" to go on. The only explanation I see for this
is the one I've written.

Again: I may be wrong,

Johnny