BOC: Imaginos -- Lyric alterations

Steven Tice StevenTice at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 18 12:34:49 EDT 2000

In a message dated 09/18/2000 10:58:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jswartz at MITRE.ORG writes:

<< Let me throw one more wrinkle into all of this madness.  These
interpretations all assume that the lyrics being interpreted are the
actual Imaginos lyrics.  I would argue that slight changes in wording
might have drastic changes in interpretation.  And, I would also argue
that Eric Bloom (who does most of the singing, as we know) has changed
the wording of some songs.  Exhibit A - "See You in Black":

A very good point.  Don't forget that the original version of E.T.I. features
the line, "books by the blameless and by the dead," which Bloom soon changed
to, "books by the many and by the dead," presumably for ease of singing.  Then
 there's Astronomy..."Four winds at the Four Winds Bar" became "Four doors at
the Four Winds Bar" on the Imaginos version, and some sources for the
original lyrics read "Two doors bought" instead of "Two doors locked."

SET