BOC: Imaginos, part 9 - Susie

Mon Sep 18 17:17:36 EDT 2000

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Johnny Firic wrote:

> I've thought about all this. My conclusion was that there is simply too
> little to go on  for the remainder of the story. Note that Albert intended
> (if he ever got to it) to put on the 2nd and 3rd part songs like "The Vigil"
> and "Veteran", not written by Pearlman at all. I'd say there never really
> was a definite, "final" version of the remainder of the story, beyond 1893.
> There are hints such as Von Ondine - but what could possibly be his
> importance? There definitely is *something*; if there ever were a second and
> third album, the story definitely *would* have extended into the 20th
> century; but trying to deduce what exactly would have happened is IMHO
> pointless.

        Yeah, well, when Hawkwind did the Elric story they roped in
several of their songs that happened to fit but were nothing to do with
it. On the other hand I do agree that the third act at least is largely
Al's imagination. But I think the fact that Pearlman was involved in most
of the second act's songs suggests some kind of a plot was behind them.

> >         All these people are Imaginos - the body changes, but the mind is
> >always the same. The character has to be awoken however.
>
> I've thought of this as well. But what is the point of this? How can he
> profit from the knowledge of his previous incarnations. So little is in his
> hands anyway.

        I dunno. Why does he have to agree to join the Cult in the first
place? As you say he's already their creature. But he does anyway. I guess
sometime he just gets self-knowledge.

> When was Pearlman born? Around that time I'd say. All of the original band
> members were born from '44 to '47. And Von Ondine was already a pilot in
> '44. Now it's true Nazis enlisted children toward the very end of the war,
> but this ... I don't know. :)

        No, you misunderstand me - Von Ondine dies - the spirit flies and
a new Desdinova is born, reincarnation-like.

> >it leads to `R U Ready to Rock?' and the musical
> >manifestation of the Blue Oyster Cult themselves. In which case, who's
> >Imaginos, well, uh... I wouldn't like to say, he might well be reading :-)
>
> believe it or not - I've thought of this as well! But what's 'he' doing?

        Well, given that I've never seen Al post to settle any of these
debates, I'd say, enjoying it :-) But Act III looks awful like Desdinova
did an ET and phoned home, doesn't it?

> ps "I only live to be born again" can simply be a Christian belief. and yes,
> I have thought of that. perhaps he doesn't remember his past so well in RU
> Ready?

        Perhaps it's just not a very world-changing incarnation. I'd say
there's no reason to bring Christianity into it at this late stage given
the set the album sleeve takes against it as refusing to accept the world
as it really is. I think he just means that the next one will be the real
big role. Yours,
                 Jon

P.S As I said last one, I'm debating this fairly light-heartedly. I think
that's the best way...

--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 741219)           jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk
 | "Zeron Gamma Two continuum entropy control parameters - AFFIRMATIVE!" |