BOC: Imaginos, parts 2 and 9 (or that's what it was)

Johnny Firic johnnybravo5858 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 26 21:39:13 EDT 2000

I don't know, I'm getting repetitive, I think, with all this. My views on
the whole saga are as they are in the essay, and not likely to change. I'm
*especially* 100% certain on the final part, "and the joke's on you", and
that the "point", if a coherent one is to be made after all, is that we're
all here flogging a dead horse, in a way.

My canon: Again, look at what happened to "Subhuman". The lyrics got twice
as big. Who can tell what would've happened to ME 262 - the significance of
which I don't understand as yet. Also, "Dominance & Submission" was never,
as far as I know, considered a part of the Imaginos cycle.

Let me try to explain this a bit more. Now, knowing all we know, look at the
1974 "Subhuman"text. Sure, it makes perfect sense - "Oyster boys are
swimming for me, just one deal is what we made now". But did it make sense
it 1974? The whole thing had to be expanded, explained - imagine a
discussion like this in 1974 - I presume many folks suspected Secreta
Treaties ;-) was a concept album. Hell, I remember some guy a couple of
months ago on alt.music.blueoystercult asking if it was one! But imagine
what kind of wild interpretations they could've made in 1974, based on the
lyrics and the Rossignol bit. So basically my point is that you are doing
just this, you are comparing the well-explained and 'documented' (in view of
liner notes) Imaginos songs proper, and other songs that may or may not
(D&S) even be a part of the story!

Whenever I get excited like this, I think "... and  the joke's on you", and
I imagine Sandy Pearlman as a lurker here, laughing his ass off.

Now, the Rossignol bit: first of all, it has two or three sentences. It says
-very- little. The Ambassadors from Plutonia - who could they be if not the
Oyster Boys? But, as I said, who knows what the conception behind these few
sentences was, in 1974. A lot could have changed from then to 1988. (Of
course there is "Astronomy" for counter evidence, but that song was fairly
vague to begin with, and still is, despite my efforts.)

The BOC (the actual band) as a reincarnation of Imaginos: I refuse to honor
this idea with further discussion.

WoTT as a conversation: read my bit on WoTT again. It all makes perfect
sense to me, especially the infamous line "by salamander drake and the power
that was undine" fits in nicely.

ET phone home: it's not an West-and-East issue, but a
young-and-in_their_prime_years issue. I was born in 1982. Is that the year
of ET?

These kids of today, they *really* have no repect.... huh?

>I see the third act as Desdinova trying to get the aliens or
>whatever to reclaim him and, disappointed, setting out on his own to
>wreak vengeance on a slavish Earth. That, to me, is why `the joke's on
>you'.

this is interesting. but, as I said, there are too many gaps in the 2nd and
3rd parts for this to be more then a guess, or that's what I think anyway.

>Nonsense! Re-read the sleeve notes, the bit where the songs are
>laid out and it gives a precis of `Blue Oyster Cult' - the >words "decides
>to join their Cult" are right there.

oops! sorry...

Johnny

ps Aldebaran is sone star?! A "follower" of the Pleiades (!?). Probably some
alien reference...  "2000 l.y. from home", though, contains some Imaginosey
stuff - "red deserts turn to dark / energy here in every part" - there's a
lot of 'energy' talk in "Half-life time"... I don't know. I'm tired...