HW: OFF: BritRail

Thu Sep 28 19:05:52 EDT 2000

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, K Henderson wrote:

> I see that BritRail passes are not available for purchase in the UK.  (Does
> anyone else think that's a little weird?)  So, I see that a four-day
> SouthEast BritRail pass (2nd class adult), usable over an 8-day period is
> $105.  Not so bad.  But if I arrive at Gatwick on Oct. 19 at 5:30 AM and
> then spend two days in the 'Downs' and Canterbury and then two days in
> London (for HW & Motorhead), I still need transport back to Gatwick for a
> Monday morning flight (there's no 5-day southeast pass).  The train to
> Gatwick I see I can get for $18 (via the same means as the BritRail pass),
> but do I need to do that now?  (i.e., can I get an express train to Gatwick
> from Victoria for $18 or UKP equiv. just by showing up there?).  I'd prefer
> not to make up my mind about that now, as I *may* want to go to Gatwick
> straight from the Academy Sun. night (and just nap at the terminal), and
> (given the lateness of the hour) am not sure how to do that (i.e., what's
> still running).

        Don't know about the Britrail stuff - sounds typically
wrong-headed but if you could get them over here then it would make their
internal offers look pretty pale I suppose. But anyway, the Gatwick
Express you should be able to buy a ticket and walk onto, though if you
wanted to be sure of a seat you might do well to buy the day before and
reserve one.

        Last trains out of London tend to go shortly before midnight, and
I've made it back out of town from every concert I've been to at the
Academy so far. This one might go on a bit but since you're only going two
stops up the line to board the Express I wouldn't be too worried.

> I am also assuming that the SouthEast pass will include all of the London
> Tubes as well, is that right?

        Don't know. If not, a Travelcard for Central London (there are six
concentric zones, you might well not need more than the central two if
you're only in London to change trains and see sights) won't hit you too
hard.

> Will there be any problem purchasing a MH ticket for Sunday, while there at
> the BA box office Saturday night?  Or should I order that one online as well?

        It might well sell out, I'd have thought, and the exchange rate is
good for you guys at the moment...

> Are the 'floor' tickets and balcony tickets really firm...ie., do they
> really not allow you access to the other part(s) of the Academy?  I'm on the
> floor of course....I prefer to stand/move around whenever possible.

        I think the way it works is that a floor ticket doesn't allow you
to enter the balcony seats and a balcony ticket doesn't let you onto the
floor. I imagine both will cover the circle where the vendors will set up
and the bars and the foyer. That's how I remember it last all-nighter
anyway. Hope some of this helps, yours,
                                        Jon

     Jon Jarrett (01223 741219)       jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk