OFF: Moorcock on sci-fi

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Apr 2 13:35:42 EDT 2001

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 22:17:50 +0100, Jon Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Nick Medford wrote:
>> Agree with Doug's list of top authors above though. Surprised more
>> Hawkfans don't rave about P.K. Dick- surely the ultimate sci-fi-delic
>> author.
>
>        I love Philip K. Dick. It was a great source of annoyance to me
>that the local library only had six or seven of his books.

The one good thing about living in Sunnyvale (the cultural wasteland of
central "Silicon Valley") was that (this being geek central USA) the public
library had a huge SF section with a complete PKDick bibliography and a
good selection of fairly obscure authors like Rudy Rucker (probably didn't
hurt that he's a math/comp-sci professor down the road in San Jose).

>        Wht, why, why, hasn't Dick's work inspired more music? Does the
>Bladerunner soundtrack count? Do we care?

There was a "modern classical" type opera version of 'Radio Free Albemuth'.

>I must start reading his work in order in a dedicated fashion
>again and then pen a vast number of lyrics.

Allegedly, they're making a movie of 'A Scanner Darkly'.  Early-80's HW
would make a perfect soundtrack for that IMO ...

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com