OFF: Buck and Lucky Leif

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Apr 11 16:05:41 EDT 2001

On 11 Apr 2001, at 15:51, Michael S. Habiby wrote:

> > On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 05:23:40PM -0400, Douglas Pearson wrote:
> >
> >> [...] the Beach Boys were a band who had quite a bit of
> >> (mostly unacknowledged) influence on spacerock.
> >
> > Eric Siegerman wrote:
> > Really?  How so?  I'm trying to think of examples, but the only
> > thing I can come up with is the theremin in Good Vibrations, and
> > even there it was put to a most non-spacy use.
> >
> > --
>
> Maybe Pet Sounds?  Very avant Guard at the time.

Yep...Also, BBs use of keyboards, complex vocal harmonies.
Good Vibrations, for ill or good, was a big influence on a lot of
people, c.f. Todd Rundrgren, an arguable space-rocker.  GV almost
rates as a suite--hell, no almost about it.  It's no secret that Pete
Townshend was abig BBs fan, and it's possible that GV helped
nudge him toward stuff like A Quick One, and later Tommy and
Quadrophenia...

theo