OFF: Buck and Lucky Leif

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Wed Apr 11 17:26:52 EDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 04:26:42PM -0400, Douglas Pearson wrote:
> It
> does include a brief, pre-"Good Vibrations" Theremin solo (near the end
> of "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times"), but in that case it's almost
> simulating an operatic voice

In GV it's singing girls-in-sequinny-dresses backup...

> (and the instrument used on the Beach Boys
> songs is technically not a Theremin, but it serves the exact same purpose,
> so that's just splitting hairs).

Split away.  What was it, and what's the difference between them?

> However, the unreleased follow-up to 'Pet Sounds', 'SMiLE', would have been
> a *very* avant-garde album

Hmmm.  If it's unreleased, how could it have been influential?
Or were they giving out copies to their friends?  Or did the
influence have to wait for the watered-down Smiley Smile version?

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
necessarily a good idea.
        - RFC 1925 (quoting an unnamed source)