OFF: Buck and Lucky Leif

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Apr 11 20:17:01 EDT 2001

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 01:00:55 +0100, Tigger <Tigger at PUDDYTAT.FSNET.CO.UK>
wrote:
>In article <200104112352.TAA09530 at listserv.spc.edu>, Douglas Pearson
><ceres at SIRIUS.COM> writes
>>You're correct that this would be a method to "mark notes in air" (if I
>>understand the 'laser harp' correctly), but the problem is that the notes
>>become *discrete* (aka "quantized" aka "stepped") ... (blah blah SNIP!)
>
>Sorry, I didn't explain it well - I didn't mean to use something like
>the laser harp to actually _play_ a theremin, just use it to show the
>player where to put his/her hands to play particular notes. Playing
>would be no different, the player would just have a visual tuning
>reference. Slides and vibrato etc would still be possible, with the
>bonus of being able to play melodies more accurately.

Ah, got it now!  Yes, exactly!  And, to bring things somewhat (vaguely)
back on topic, that seems (visually) like something that would have fit the
BOC lightshow of their 70's smoke&lasers heyday perfectly (I could even
imagine the synth solo on "Flaming Telepaths" being played that way,
looking like the player's trapped behind laser "bars").

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com