HW: Recent v Old (revisited) A Howl of Derision

Tom Clark tclark at PETRONET.NET
Sun Apr 15 02:13:29 EDT 2001

"If only Astounding Sounds had been a well produced studio double album, think
what a classic that would have been."

Huh?  I think it is an excellently produced studio album and a classic in it's
own right..  Blew me away when I first heard it, though it was on  a good sound
system in conjunction with some Moroccan Brown and headphones.   Seemed like it
was designed for that.  To this day, it's a classic in my book in that it
brought Bob Calvert's genius to the forefront, and still sounds awesome.  A bit
muddy in places, but, man, that was an album that blew me emotionally away more
so than even Space Ritual.   It displayed Bob Calvert's passion moreso than any
album he was featured on.   It definitely fit the times, and still holds up to
this day, IMO.