hey ho, let's go: sad news

Mon Apr 16 18:42:42 EDT 2001

Here in the UK, the first person ever to play the Ramones on the radio was DJ John Peel and I was listening that first night he played, I think the single and then the final two segied tracks off the first album. Even though UK punk was arriving 'en masse' at the time, this blew like a hurricane through everything else and you can't imagine the effect of hearing that for the first time AT THAT TIME coming post-prog - a case of 'whoooaaahhhh - what the.......'
Yeh - never was anything like that since altho'a few came very close, although not too sure if the person here who said 'musical genius' was tonhue in cheek or what - don't think he'd have been flattered to have been called that because after all,that is the very reason they existed - to blast away musical genius and just create fantastic dumb-assed rock 'n' roll.
MUch missed, as usual with all the dead 'uns,
Andy Garibaldi.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Robert C. Mayo
  To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
  Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 12:17 AM
  Subject: hey ho, let's go: sad news

  sorry to report to those who havent already heard:
  joey ramone has passed away. i don' thave any details other than last month
  he was diagnosed with cancer of the thyroid, fast and inoperable.

  i thank the ramones for showing me that less is more; that there can be great
  depth in simplicity; that loud rock music is SUPPOSED TO BE FUN, and FUNNY;
  that perserverance is its own reward; and that if it ain't broke, don't fix
  it, that if you truly have something of value to say, that message will never
  age.

  the passing of a true legend and musical genius.

  i always thought that if you didn't like at least one of the following bands,
  you were an asshole:
  ac/dc
  motorhead
  ramones