HW: Recent v Old (revisited) A Howl of Derision

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Apr 17 16:56:57 EDT 2001

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 19:34:04 +0100, Captain Bl at ck <starfield at SUPANET.COM>
wrote:

>Paul Rudolph DID play some lead on Astounding - namely City Of Lagoons,
>Aubergine, Kerb Crawler, Chronoglide and the solo during the third verse of
>Steppenwolf.

Thanks for the info!  Much appreciated!

>He DID play some lead live, as photos from the tour will testify
>(on a black Gibson Les Paul, to be exact).

... but of course! (the black Les Paul, that is)

>Who played Bass? Simon or Dave?  Does anybody know for sure?

There's a review reprinted either on www.hawkwind.com or on the Calvert
Projekte site that mentions Simon House playing bass (and, IIRC, the Simon
House interview in Ptolemaic Terrascope mentions that he started out as
bassist in High Tide).  There's at least one track (I think the
instrumental on Weird 5?) where you can hear violin (Simon, obviously),
synth (would have to be Dave, then), guitar (Rudolph) AND bass (however,
this sounds like it could be synth bass ... could Dave have played it on
keyboard?).  Or maybe I imagined all that ...

>Horses for courses. I mean, Eno produced Lucky Leif and look how
>laid back that sounds.

True.  Actually, Eno didn't really get interesting as a producer (IMO)
until slightly later than this ... his work with John Cale in the mid-70s
is quite good (just picked up his 'Island Years' double CD - great stuff!),
but the first Devo album was where he REALLY started on the cool stuff (and
that band probably provided a great platform for doing so).

>Someone (may have been you, Doug?) posted that Rudolph got an
>EMS Synthi and disappeared into his room prior to leaving the
>Fairies - I'd never heard this before, any evidence to substantiate it?

Wasn't me, and I'd never heard that before, either.  I would imagine that
doing sessions for Eno was more lucrative and less stressful than driving
around England with the Pink Fairies, though.

>I have a great photo of him playing bass with the Hawks dressed in
>sportsgear - if and when I get a scanner I'll post this one up.

The fantastic Larry Wallis interview in 'Forced Exposure' many many years
ago mentions that when the Deviants did the "Screwed Up" reunion 7"EP on
Stiff, the rest of the band would be partying it up in the studio, and
Rudolph would show up on his bicycle, in athletic gear, with his thermos of
tea.

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com