OFF: two questions

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Apr 18 19:43:03 EDT 2001

In message <3ADDCAF6.262CB08B at pa.msu.edu>, John McIntyre
<mcintyre at PA.MSU.EDU> writes
>Nick Medford wrote:
>
>> So presumably named after the late and very thanatoid Rev Jones out in
>> Guyana. Psychic TV released an album that claimed to be recordings of the
>> "Last Supper".... recall poring over this ghoulish item in a shop before
>> deciding I really *didn't* need this stuff... has anyone here actually heard
>> this record?
>
>Not the Psychic TV album, no, but I suspect their source was a radio show that I
>
>did tape.

Interesting... my memories on this are hazy too, but I think the "Last
Supper" sleevenotes claimed that there were only two copies of the
recordings- one was in the hands of the CIA, and the other had
mysteriously made its way into the grubby mitts of G.P-O. and friends. I had
a hard time believing this but if they got it from this author who in turn got
it from the Gov., then it's certainly possible.

> Yeah, kinda sick.

No judgements from me on that... I didn't buy the record but I confess to
some residual curiosity as to what exactly it would have sounded like.

>The scary thing about the Jonestown tapes is they make it quite clear how far
>gone
>Jones was.  And still people did as he told them to.

Well, that's true of a myriad political and/or religious figures, no? PTV
always used that as their argument for their "research and documentation"
on figures like Jones, Manson et al: that it was important to document this
stuff as it showcased uncomfortable facts about human nature which we
shouldn't sweep under the carpet. True enough, but also a convenient
intellectual rationalisation for a more basic morbid interest, in my view.

Thanks for the info
--
Nick Medford