OFF: Pink Fairies and Deviants recommendations

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Apr 18 20:30:49 EDT 2001

In message <003b01c0c775$619c2ce0$da61883e at bedroomt>, colm
mcwilliams <bedroom at TRANCER28.FSNET.CO.UK> writes
>after reading alot about them on this ng i have been meaning to buy a few
>cd's by the pink faires and or deviants and wondered if anyone could
>recomend any to me???

Fairies: basically the 3 studio albums from the early 70s- "Never Never
Land", "What a Bunch Of Sweeties" and "Kings of Oblivion"- remain the
best starting point, though another thread indicates that Kings is the only
one easily obtainable. Beyond that there's a bewildering array of
compilations, live and unreleased stuff, but it's probably best tackled after
the core releases. There are also a number of releases by reformed versions of
the band, with at least 2 different factions represented, but these are of
secondary importance IMHO.

Deviants: can't comment much, only one I have is the self-titled one from
'67 or thereabouts, which is almost like a UK street-punk version of the
early Mothers of Invention... many love it, though for me it's extremely
dated and of historical interest only.  But Mick Farren's kept the Deviants
name alive to this day and there are any number of releases, which like you
I keep meaning to investigate. Someone else will have to come in on that...
--
Nick Medford